Monday, October 7, 2013

What's On My Pull List?

Disclaimer: What I read is different from what I buy. As a student, I already feel as if I'm spending too much money on comics. However, there are always few comics that come out monthly that I cannot resist buying!


Adventure Time Comics
Ryan North with art by Shelli Paroline and Braden Lamb

Adventure Time: Candy Capers
Yuko Ota, Ananth Panagariya with art by Ian McGinty

Carrying over the same mix of smart and dumb humour I adore on television in print form, and featuring artists from Tumblr that I follow almost every issue keep this Adventure Time fangirl happy. Usually a  fun and easy read. Also, the limited series that spin-off the comics are done incredibly well, if not better than this comic. Candy Capers is the current spin-off series featuring usual side characters in the Adventure Time series solving crimes and being adorable.


Batman
Scott Snyder with pencils by Greg Capullo
C'mon. It's Batman. How can I resist Batman? He fights crime, avoids personal problems, and does it all with so much angst!



Batwoman
W. Haden Blackman, and J. H. Williams (who also does the artwork)
Beautiful art by J.H. Williams, and it's refreshing to read about a gay character whose life does not revolve solely around their sexuality. Granted, I may be dropping it in the nearby future because of J.H. Williams leaving. I’m going to miss the current team but am going to wait until the Zero-Year issue (#25) before I completely stop buying it.


Captain Marvel
Kelly Sue DeConnick and Christopher Sebela, with art by Felipe Andrade and covers by Joe Quinones

If you haven't already noticed, I have a soft spot for books that feature strong female leads. Captain Marvel definitely fits under this category, featuring pilot Carol Danvers. Kelly Sue brings Carol to life through a much needed reintroduction to the character. It's so good that it has a fandom. They're called the Carol Corps.



Rat Queens (pictured above with Sex Criminals)
Kurtis J Wiebe with art by Roc Upchurch 

"Who are the Rat Queens? A pack of booze-guzzling, death-dealing battle maidens-for-hire, and they’re in the business of killing all gods’ creatures for profit." Image Comics describes this better than I ever could. It's fun, and I was convinced to buy it after issue one! I can't wait to see what's in store for this series!


Red Sonja
Gail Simone with art by Walter Geovani

Barbarian Red Sonja, known as 'the she-devil with a sword' fights to free the city of the King who saved her life from her ex-prison mate. You can't go wrong with Gail Simone, and it's difficult to imagine the book without Walter Geovani's art.


(source)

Saga
Brian K. Vaughan with art by Fiona Staples

Oh, where to begin with Saga? Featuring a lovable, eclectic cast of characters beautifully written by Brian K. Vaughan and absolutely gorgeous art by Fiona Staples it is difficult for me not to rant about Saga to every customer who’s willing to listen. It’s about star-crossed lovers in space, and bounty hunters and all sorts of aliens and war and... You know what, just read anything Brian K. Vaughan has written. Trust me on this one guys. 

Sex Criminals (pictured with Rat Queens earlier in post)
Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky

My co-worker and I are really hoping this one becomes a movie or series on HBO. Two people with the ability to stop time when they orgasm meet by chance and decided to use their powers to commit various crimes. AThis is another book that I was convinced to buy after the first issue due to its honesty, humour, and how embarrassingly relatable it could be Matt Fraction also writes for the current run of Hawkeye, which I haven't included in this list because it isn't technically on my list. Still a must-read; I am planning to purchase the trades. The point being, Matt Fraction is a damn good writer.



Uncanny X-Force
Sam Humphries with pencils by Ron Garney
Psylocke, Storm, Puck, make up the current X-Force team. Dealing with problems the main team of X-Men won't handle for varied reasons, trouble arises in the form of time-traveler Bishop, Cluster and a group of beings called The Revenants.  


Wolverine and the X-Men
Jason Aaron with pencils by Chris Bachalo
This book is about Wolverine running a school of mutants. Hilarity and shenanigans ensues. I don't keep up with this book as much as my brother does, but it's still a fun read. 



Wonder Woman
Brian Azzarello with Cliff Chiang
Oh, Cliff Chiang. How I love your art.

Wonder Woman is one of the few DC books that I keep up with, and if you read it you would understand why. They may have changed some fundamental aspects of Diana's origin story, but they played it off well enough that it can be easily overlooked. 


X-Men
Brian Wood with pencils by Oliver Coipel

An all-female team of X-Men? Anyone who knows me knew how excited I was when this book was announced. Focusing on fan favourites such as Storm, Rogue, Kitty Pryde, Rachel Grey, Psylocke, and the reintroduction of Jubilee (who is still a vampire) and a mystery baby! I am so pleased with this book and am glad that we're at a point in the world of comics that this can be published!

Saga and Hawkeye are (regrettably) not on my pull list, but I do buy them in trades. (For those who don’t know, these are the collected editions of the single issues) It’s a hassle to go hunting for back issues, especially with books as popular as those two. I’m content in the money I’m saving by waiting a little longer to own them myself...But if I could send a message to past me it would definitely be to start buying those books the moment they began. Or to tell myself to start reading comics a whole lot earlier.

Do you have a pull list? If so, what's on it?

1 comment:

  1. I am currently reading walking dead and am going to read uncanny x-men eventually

    ReplyDelete